Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Japanese Person

No doubt my mother knows me best, as her life has revolved around my life since I was born. So far I have lived apart from my family for almost one year, although, they welcome me with the familiar home whenever I get back home.
 
My mother turned 56 years old just yesterday. Therefore, last weekend I returned home to celebrate her birthday. She looked a little bit younger than she is, but also, as if her age had no affect on her spirit, it seemed as though she was as lively as a 20 year old. This is not only said by me but neighbors as well. When we visited to the local exhibition, which was held in the neighborhood, our neighbors would glance at us and say, “I did not think that you had such a grown son like him because you look so young.” Then she answered them, “Thank you, but I don’t think about that. I only think about my family.” She often says that she is of secondary importance compared with family members. She has been a full time housewife since she got married. She has devoted herself to the family.
 
However, recently she has started setting aside time to do some things for herself, as she has been getting a lot more free time and has less need to take care of her matured sons. Last year, she decided to take a correspondence course in law. She had a longing to be a college student for a long time, as on leaving a high school she got a job, but quit as soon as she got married. “I have been pondering the pleasure of studying these days, which I should have realized when I was much younger. Of course, everything in textbooks, such as legal jargons for example, is very tough for me since my memory is becoming weaker. But still I am so happy with the challenging days.”

My mother is a typical Japanese wife. She not only goes about chores everyday, but also gets along well with the people in the neighborhood. Although she never walks three steps behind my father, she is filled with affection toward her family.

1 comment:

  1. Great choice for this assignment - and you provide a very nice description of your mother. But she is hard to see in the portraits - I would like to see her whole face.

    ReplyDelete